Search This Blog

Wednesday 11 October 2017

On My Marks!

This Sunday 15th October I will run in the Simply Health Great Birmingham Run. I've entered the half marathon distance and have run the 13.1 miles twice now. My training began when I entered back in April this year so I will have been preparing for 6 months.
During this time my running routine has consisted of training Tuesday's and Thursdays when I'll do between 3 and 4 miles each time. I've tried to treat the 5k (3.1 mile) runs as speed training and now average around 8.40 per mile, around 26 minutes total.
At the weekend I've focused on longer runs of 5 miles plus. Both of the 13.1 mile distances I've achieved in 2.03 hrs which is pleasing. On Sunday I want to push myself if possible and try to complete in less than 2 hours - a big ask!
Since I started running at the end of 2014 I've learnt a lot about myself. I have far more stamina than I realised and have surprised myself with how competitive I am. Running has helped focus my mind as well as improve general fitness which has also benefited from a better diet while training.
Where I used to dwell on worries and concerns about my health I have found running a way to quieten my mind. When I run that is all I do, put one foot in front of the other and breathe. Knowing I can run, seeing the progress I make and feeling my heart pounding gives me huge reassurance. I'm one step ahead.
I have chosen to raise funds for two charities close to my heart. The first, Facing up to Kidney Cancer is one I've supported previously. All monies go directly into a kidney cancer research project at University College London. The second, Kidney Cancer Support Network is a patient led charity supporting the needs of patients and carers going through this disease. Donations can be made through my Total Giving Page, An Unfashionable Cancer Marathon.

In 2018 I will be running a full marathon. I turn 50 at the end of this year and March 2018 marks 5 years since my surgery to remove my left kidney. At that time I would never have thought I'd be able to run let alone run 26.2 miles. By taking on this challenge I hope to show others coping with kidney cancer that it is possible to achieve many things. I am one of the lucky ones, recovery has granted me the ability to run. It has also given me other opportunities including writing and yoga. In turn my new found passion for fitness has lead me to change my business model, I now make and sell activewear through my own business Missfit. Cancer doesn't have to be the end, there can be new beginnings no matter how small.
My goal to raise £1000 has already passed the halfway mark which is amazing. On Sunday I get to run a half marathon race for the first time in my family home town of Birmingham. Hopefully along the way I will raise much needed awareness of kidney cancer as well as increasing the fundraising.
I've made myself some leggings ready for the occasion, hopefully they'll stand out but don't blink, you may miss me ;-)
Debbie X

No comments:

Post a Comment